Guide to Operating A Business in Bernardsville
Welcome to Downtown Bernardsville!
From time to time you may have questions about operating your business in Bernardsville and we’re here to help you get answers so that your business can thrive. This quick reference guide to operating a business in Bernardsville offers quick access to all the important information you need including:
- Obtain a business permit. Download the form here:
Bernardsville Business Permit Link
- Find an available location /property within the Zone that permits your type of business. You will also need to complete and return the Zoning Permit Application. Download the form and zoning map below.
Bernardsville Zoning Permit Application
Bernardsville Zoning Map
- Obtain the necessary construction permit for the property you have acquired. NJ Dept of Community Affairs Construction Permit Site
- Start Advertising! Here in Bernardsville, it is very important to maintain the beautiful downtown streetscape, and therefore, all signs must adhere to certain guidelines. This link will provide all the detail you need as far as what signs we permit in our Downtown. Bernardsville Sign PermitThen, contact DowntownBernardsville.com to join our Downtown Bernardsville Community Alliance and take advantage of all marketing opportunities we have to offer!
- Be prepared for Fire and Health Inspections. There are many state regulations that must be followed in order to insure the safety of your employees, as well as your clientele. These links will guide you based on the type of business you will operate, to obtain the necessary permits for your business.
NJ Health Department Forms
Bernardsville Borough Fire Requirements
Here are some frequently asked questions you may have when deciding whether or not to establish your business in Bernardsville.
I would like to operate a home-based business. What do I need to do?
Click here for more information: Bernardsville Home Based Businesses
Who can help me improve the design of my building or sign?
To make these improvements, you would hire an architect and/or engineer. If you have regulatory questions on what they may or may not do with their buildings or on their sites, they should contact the zoning officer for general guidance or their own architect/engineer for design specifics.
What about parking? Where can I instruct my customers and employees to park?
Employees and Business owners are required to have a Merchant Parking Decal and can park in the Mount Airy parking lot, at 18 Mount Airy Road.
Customers can park on the street for free, but keep in mind that if employees are utilizing those spaces, then customers might not have places to park.
There are also designated parking lots with labeled “shopper parking” at the Post Office on Quimby Lane, the Library, and the Mount Airy Road Parking Lot.
What types of businesses would work well in Bernardsville?
Recently a comprehensive and extensive survey was completed, and the results can be viewed at this link. It outlines what our residents want from downtown, and some of the challenges we face, just as any thriving downtown would, rolling with the changes! So please refer to this, and if you have questions or concerns, please contact Bernardsville’s Zoning Officer. Bernardsville Downtown Revitalization Community Survey Results 2018
Here are some of the initiatives our Borough is committed to, in order to support our local businesses:
- Improve Signage
- Add high-visibility crosswalks
- Infill housing & redevelopment opportunities in commercial corridor
- Relieve traffic congestions
- Re-examine Downtown Parking plan
- Expand outdoor dining
Are you a Bernardsville business owner?
This mailing list will give you first hand details about upcoming events in which you can participate, promotional opportunities, business development workshops, a direct link to members of our community and more from DowntownBernardsville.com and the Downtown Bernardsville Community Alliance. We are here to help!